XAT Preparation for XAT 2019 exam, to be conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur on January 6, 2019 as computer based test can get you admission in prestigious XLRI, SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB,TAPMI, BIMTECH among other top B-schools. It is high time that XAT 2019 exam preparation must be started without any further delay as per the revised XAT exam pattern. In view of the experts and past XAT toppers, the XAT Exam preparation must be well defined and one of the important points which differentiate XAT exam preparation from other exams is the Decision Making Preparation for XAT exam and the strategy to prepare for this important XAT section.
During the past 4-5 years, XAT exam preparation had to be frequently changed due to changes in XAT exam every year. Although XAT remained a paper based test till 2017, it continued to change its structure due to which the XAT exam preparation had to be changed also. In 2018 XAT switched over to computer based test from earlier paper based test which again called for changes in XAT exam preparation pattern.
How to prepare for XAT 2019, is a big question as XAT 2019 exam preparation strategy needs revision due to the changes in XAT exam pattern which does not have Essay Writing Test now. Accordingly, your XAT Preparation 2019 should be focussed on following key points:
- When and How to prepare for XAT
- Which are the XAT Preparation Books
- What XAT 2019 preparation material is available apart from the books
- XAT Preparation Tips by past XAT Toppers
- Whether to Prepare with XAT Coaching or Self prepare - which is better
- XAT Preparation Online
- Strategy - how to crack XAT 2019 Exam with High score
XAT Exam 2019 Preparation Time: Important to Plan
As the XAT preparation time goes on reducing month after month with every passing day, you need to revisit your XAT preparation strategy and synchronise it with remaining XAT preparation Time. XAT preparation tips by toppers who suggest ‘How to prepare for XAT 2019 in 3 months or 2 months’; ‘How to crack XAT Exam with a planned XAT Preparation strategy in 2 months’ and so on, are more relevant as the XAT preparation time is short now.
XAT Coaching or XAT Preparation 2019 at Home
After synchronizing the XAT preparation time, you need to find out whether to go for XAT coaching or start XAT Exam 2019 Preparation at home. One of the important XAT preparation tips for beginners is to come out of this dilemma of moving between XAT coaching and XAT preparation at home.
If you wish to prepare with XAT Coaching institute in big or small cities, you can find best XAT coaching centres in Delhi, Kolkata, Bhubaneswar and all the other cities. However, it is important to find out the best coaching for XAT exam preparation that can focus on all the sections to prepare for XAT, like Decision Making which is not a common section for other exams. Even the best coaching for XAT exam may have its draw backs in regard to imparting XAT coaching on certain topics. So alongwith your preparation through the best XAT coaching, you should find out the best coaching for XAT preparation for the topics that need your greater attention.
If you wish to self prepare for XAT 2019, you need to understand first how to prepare for XAT exam at home with the help of XAT Preparation Books, and other appropriate XAT 2018 Study Material. So instead of depending upon only XAT coaching, focus on XAT preparation books recommended by XAT toppers - like XAT preparation books by Arun Sharma, XAT preparation book by Nishit Sinha, available good XAT 2019 Study Material for XAT preparation, XAT Preparation Online Study material, freely available XAT preparation online facility, XAT exam Quiz 2019, XAT Mock test 2019. These XAT Preparation Tips 2019 can pave your way in right direction to XAT Exam 2019 Preparation and make you aware how to prepare for XAT exam with a well devised XAT preparation plan and clear understanding ‘How to Crack XAT Exam without XAT coaching’.
XAT Preparation Tips
XAT Preparation Tips 2019 will guide you how to start XAT exam Preparation as per the revised XAT exam pattern. When you begin your XAT Preparation Online or offline, you should keep in mind the following tips for XAT 2019 preparation:
- XAT 2019 Exam Pattern: You must be aware about the XAT exam pattern
- XAT 2019 Syllabus
- Online XAT preparation
- How to prepare for XAT 2019 in 6 months?
- How to prepare for XAT 2019 in 3 months?
- How to prepare for XAT 2019 in 2 months?
- How to prepare for XAT without coaching and with self study?
- Best Books for XAT preparation
- XAT Preparation with Coaching
- XAT Mock Test 2019 & XAT Previous Test papers
- Strategy How to crack XAT exam with 90+ percentile
Prepare for XAT 2019 as per exam Pattern
XAT exam pattern has gone with perceptible changes. With effect from 2018 not only the XAT exam has become a computer based test, but also there is change in number of questions in XAT exam. Besides, the XAT exam 2019 has dropped the Essay Writing Test from XAT 2019 exam pattern. Going by the tradition in changes in different type of questions in XAT exam, you cannot rule out a different XAT 2019 Exam pattern. You need to devise a well chalked out plan for your XAT 2019 preparation as per the XAT 2018 exam pattern.
Despite number of changes brought about in XAT exam pattern, the basics of the XAT exam have not changed. As per the revised XAT exam pattern 2019, XAT 2019 exam will consist of four sections without any demarcation of Part A & B. However, GK section will not be counted in score calculation for shortlisting for final selection round. With a total of 100 or less questions, there is no sectional time limit and entire test paper has to be completed in 3 hours duration. You need to ensure high score in each of the 3 sections as there is also a sectional score cut off in XLRI for shortlisting.
XAT 2019 Exam Pattern
- Exam Date: Sunday, January 6, 2019
- XAT 2019 Testing Mode: Online Computer Based
- Total Questions Expected: 100 or less
- Time Duration: 3 Hours from 10AM to 1 PM
- Number of sections: 4 ( Verbal, DM, QA, GK),
- Type of Questions: Multiple Choice Type (MCQs) with 5 answer options
- Questions with negative marking: 75
- Questions without negative marking: 25 (GK Section)
- Score awarded for each correct answer: 1 Mark
- Negative marking (Applicable for wrong answers): ¼ (0.25) Mark
XAT Exam pattern 2019: Sectional Composition
Out of the total 100 marks the distribution of section wise marks in XAT 2019 with number of questions is expected to be on following pattern:
No. of Expected Questions (MCQ Type)
Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning (VALR)
Decision Making (DM)
Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QADI)
General Knowledge (GK)
XAT 2019 Exam Syllabus
XAT 2019 exam Syllabus consists of multiple choice objective type questions (MCQs) only. The subjective question on Essay Writing has been removed from XAT 2019 syllabus and the candidates need not prepare for XAT essay writing test in XAT 2019 exam. Although there is no specifically defined XAT Exam Syllabus, but going by the previous trend of XAT questions, the XAT 2019 Syllabus & exam pattern comprises the questions on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation and General Knowledge.
In a major shift introduced in XAT 2019 exam Syllabus is that the reduction of one subjective writing section. The 3 marks which were awarded for Essay Writing Test would be redistributed among the other sections, which will have either more number of questions or the maximum marks awarded in XAT 2019 will be reduced to less than 100. The XAT syllabus which sourced more than 100 questions before 2018 exam, has now been revamped with fewer questions in each section.
XAT Syllabus for XAT 2019 Preparation
Once you know about the XAT Pattern 2019, your next step for XAT 2019 preparation is to scan the XAT Syllabus. XAT exam syllabus for XAT exam preparation is based on past trends of XAT questions and the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam. The type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent XAT exam.
To prepare for XAT exam as per XAT Syllabus, it should be kept in mind that there is no repetition of XAT exam questions in any XAT exam although difficulty level of the questions in XAT exam would remain within the XAT exam syllabus.
XAT 2019 exam Syllabus is not pre-defined by XLTI Jamshedpur. However, XAT 2019 exam syllabus is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of XAT exam.
XAT 2019 Syllabus: Key Changes
- The number of sections in XAT exam preparation 2019 as per XAT Syllabus has reduced to 4 from earlier 5 Sections. The number of questions in each of these sections is also changed.
- The Essay Writing test topic Section from XAT syllabus has been removed in XAT 2019
- Now there will not be any Part A or Part B, as the entire XAT 2019 exam will be a single computer based test without any subparts.
- Questions on Decision Making remain most important in XAT 2019 syllabus as no other national level exam has such section. Accordingly, good preparation for XAT Decision Making is required.
- GK syllabus in XAT does not pose threat in getting shortlisted by XLRI or SPJIMR. The preparation for GK questions in XAT 2019 should be enough to get you qualifying scores. The GK score in XAT is not counted to arrive at merit score.
- Maximum overall marks in XAT syllabus are expected to be 100 and a penalty of ¼ mark will be awarded for every wrong answer in 3 core sections without any negative marking in GK section.
No XAT 2019 preparation without XAT Syllabus
You will find it difficult to proceed with XAT exam preparation even if you have all the XAT preparation material, unless you know the XAT exam syllabus. XAT exam syllabus is much wider than one can anticipate.
XAT syllabus does not leave any study topic untouched. If you go through the XAT exam syllabus, it will help you to decide when to begin XAT preparation, How to prepare for XAT 2019; What important topics covered in XAT syllabus need your focused attention in XAT preparation... Read More about XAT Syllabus for XAT Preparation
How to start XAT preparation at home?
XAT preparation 2019 should be started at home now without waiting any further. XAT toppers with 95.84 percentile, Shreyas Vasudevan did not attend any XAT coaching and prepared for XAT exam at home. He suggests self preparation for the exam and advises to solve more Mock Tests. XAT preparation tips to start XAT preparation at home are:
- Go through the revised XAT exam pattern
- Read thoroughly the XAT syllabus 2019
- Pick out your strong and weak areas in all the sections
- Gather the best books for XAT preparation and other XAT 2019 study material for XAT preparation
- Improve on your weak areas and monitor the improvement regularly
- Take as many XAT Mocks during your XAT exam preparation and do the analysis of each Mock. Without analysis of Mock, attempting a mock test may not be useful.
- If you are weak in VA & RC, reading different articles and novels, conversing in English with friends and even watching English TV series and movies will be helpful.
- Decision Making (DM) section in XAT is unique, so prepare it well.
- Data Interpretation (DI) is considered a bit more time consuming. Start practicing on DI questions. Use approximation techniques for quick calculations.
XAT Preparation for Decision Making
One of the important sections for XAT preparation is the Decision Making (DM). In view of Lovish Soien, DM percentile of 94+ and an overall percentile of 99.49 in XAT and student of XLRI Jamshedpur Decision Making (DM) section in Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) tests you not on your ability to learn concepts or remember formulas, but on your ability to holistically view a situation and propose a solution to a problem.
Preparation for Decision Making (DM) in XAT requires focused attention on following points:
- DM also tests you on your ethical standing and asks you to take a decision in a conflicting situation.
- Prepare as per the three different types of questions asked in Decision Making section. These are:
Data Based: Data given and the answer is to be based on analyses of the data,
Situation Based: A scenario wherein you will be tested on your ethical standing,
Mixture: A mixture of both of the above
How to Prepare & Approach the DM Question
Analyse the situation: Understanding the motives behind the test will help you align your thinking process with the expectations of the test setter. Thus before answering a question you need to first analyse the situation from the different perspectives, i.e., the economic as well as the social perspective.
Frame the answer in your mind: Read, understand and try to gauge the motive behind the question. Once you have done this try to frame the answer within your mind without looking at the options, as sometimes the options can be misleading and lead you to a different outcome.
Once, you have framed the answer, match your answer with the options given. Most often, if you have used proper reasoning, you will be able to match your answer with one of the options and arrive at the correct solution.
Eliminate incorrect options
The questions in XAT have five options for each question. But not all the five options are relevant. After a basic reading of the question you can start eliminating the options and in most cases, you would be able to eliminate at least two options.
Once, you have eliminated these two options, the next step would be to reason why each of the remaining option will be the correct answer, and the option that convinces you the most shall in most cases be the correct answer... Read More on How to prepare for Decision Making in XAT
How to prepare for XAT Exam in 6 months?
XAT preparation tips for beginners or for the repeaters are not much different. XAT preparation time of 6 months is sufficient to crack the exam. Following should be adhered to before proceeding on XAT preparation journey:
- As you are left with sufficient XAT exam preparation time, first of all go through and understand the XAT exam pattern
- Get a good feel of XAT 2019 exam syllabus
- Find out your strong and weak areas
- Start building up the fundamentals and get conceptual clarity on the topics which fall in your weak areas
- Don’t waste too much time on theory. If you have understood the basics, attempt XAT sectional quiz.
- Practice after theory is a must. Accordingly take periodical XAT 2019 Quiz, attempt XAT previous years Mock test, XAT previous years question papers
- Get the best XAT preparation material with best books for XAT preparation.
- Beginning your XAT preparation early will give you time to periodically assess yourself and overcome your weaknesses.
- Remain confident right from the day one during your XAT preparation journey.
- Self Preparation is the best preparation strategy for XAT 2019 however time is also an important factor. If a candidate gets stuck on some question due to his/her lack of conceptual clarity, the wastage of time is more and depression begins to set in. It could be a small quant formula, LR logic, or Verbal usage clarity which might need a simple push to come out of the shallow waters. This help can be provided by your mentor online or offline depending upon your preference or a mix of both.
How to prepare for XAT in 3 months?
XAT preparation time of three months is not short. What you have done in last three months or whatever you have prepared can be revised now in three months with various IIFT preparation tools. The time is ripe to intensify a little your XAT preparation strategy for three months:
- See that you have achieved good clarity on fundamentals and have strengthened your basics
- Alongwith going through the books for XAT preparation, visit number of online XAT preparation material
- It is time that you started taking XAT Mock test, analyse your errors and rectify them
- Instead of reading the theory again and again, now you should attempt the question and when you are stuck, visit the basics and clarify your point to clear the confusion
- Solve XAT previous year question papers
- Join a good Test series for XAT preparation
How to prepare for XAT 2019 in 2 months?
It may sound a little surprising but it is true. Many XAT toppers are of the view that XAT preparation time of two months is good enough to crack XAT exam. Even 2 months are good to score 95 percentile provided you are sincere enough.
- Focus more on XAT Exam Quiz, XAT Mock tests, different types of questions as appeared in XAT
- Don’t leave any XAT Mock Test without analyzing it
- Go through the Books for XAT preparation and the XAT preparation material and ensure that you have gone through the sectional and overall quiz and practice tests in these XAT preparation books.
- There are some strong areas within your weak areas and some weak areas within your strong areas. Try to focus on all the weak areas and see if you are able to improve them. However, you should not waste more time on them. Instead focus more on your strong areas and improve them further.
How to prepare for XAT without coaching and with self study?
There is no substitute of XAT preparation with self study which does not require any coaching until and unless you are stuck. Experts therefore, recommend that you should start your XAT exam preparation by self study and later make it a mix of self study as well as help from coaching to avoid wastage of time.
- Self Preparation is the best preparation strategy for XAT 2019 however time is also an important factor. If a candidate gets stuck on some question due to his/her lack of conceptual clarity, the wastage of time is more and depression begins to set in. It might need a simple push to come out of the shallow waters. This help can be provided by your XAT mentor online or offline depending upon your preference or a mix of both.
- Most of the candidates coming from Engineering or other technical background find it easy to get along well with Quant, DI and LR but when it comes to Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, they find the section difficult. Only there an expert guidance may be required.
- XAT preparation 2019 needs improvement in your speed and accuracy as the time to solve per question is less. The question difficulty level in XAT is considered a little higher than in other exams but you have a little more than 1 minute per question to solve and the marking scheme in XAT exam is uniform, so it requires you to focus more on questions counted for merit score, while GK can be taken care of in the remaining time. It will therefore, not be sufficient to score overall high in XAT 2019; your section wise score should also be high to become eligible for shortlisting at XLRI
- XAT 2019 preparation should equip you with continuous sitting for more than 3 hours without break. To achieve this you are required to take more Mocks, XAT previous year test papers.
XAT Preparation with Coaching
XAT coaching helps you overcome many weak areas. The XAT 2019 preparation through coaching can be a class room regular or weekend coaching or it can be XAT preparation online through the coaching centres. Good Coaching institutes like TIME, CL, IMS among others provide best XAT preparation material with practice questions.
But again, while preparing for XAT with coaching is good if you get all your doubts cleared and all the topics relevant for XAT preparation are covered.
Accordingly, you need to choose for the best coaching for XAT preparation. XAT preparation online is a good answer to the working professionals who find it difficult to attend regular class room coaching for XAT. During the past few years preference for XAT online coaching has gone up many times. In fact XAT preparation through online coaching for XAT is more cost effective, less time consuming and offers you more time to practice XAT question papers and XAT exercises.
XAT Preparation Books
XAT preparation books and XAT preparation material online or offline play a major role in helping you score high in the XAT exam.
XAT exam preparation books will not only guide you how to begin your XAT 2019 exam preparation but will also strengthen your fundamentals and clarify your concepts. The exercises and different difficulty level questions will also help you to practice on variety of questions.
You need to get the best XAT preparation books which can help you focus on XAT specific study. In fact, XLRI XAT is considered a tougher exam and therefore XAT preparation requires your focused attention. There are hundreds of books available in the market on XAT exam 2019 preparation but you need to choose the best books for XAT preparation. A distinction has to be made in XAT exam books and the best books for XAT exam.
Best books for XAT 2019 Preparation
Since there are few common core sections in XAT and CAT, the books to prepare for XAT and CAT exams are also very much similar. A few of the best books for XAT preparation recommended by toppers are:
XAT Preparation Books by Arun Sharma
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT’- by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
XAT Preparation Books by Nishit K Sinha
- ‘Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and data Interpretation for the CAT’- by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- ‘Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT’-by Nishit K Sinha
Other XAT Study & Preparation Material
- Latest RC Passages and practice questions provided by Study centres like TIME, CL among others
- Editorial and short articles published in English news papers
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ – by Norman Lewis
- ‘High School English Grammar & Composition’ – by Wren & Martin
- Regularly solve the Verbal Ability questions from your XAT study material especially on Para summary, Jumbled Paragraphs
XAT Previous Test Papers
Previous year papers comprising XAT questions and detailed solutions are a good source of XAT preparation material. They give you the idea and type of XAT questions that you may face in the real XAT exam paper 2019. After strengthening your fundamentals, your XAT exam preparation should focus on practicing with more and more previous XAT test papers. This XAT preparation strategy will not only give you an opportunity to solve real XAT exam questions, but will also bring more confidence in you after you are able to solve variety of questions...Solve XAT Previous Test Papers
XAT Mock tests for XAT Preparation
Practice test papers for XAT prepared by top experts and XAT toppers are good tool for XAT 2019 preparation and crack XAT exam. XAT exam 2019 preparation with sample papers can become easy as the XAT Mocks include the best selected questions for XAT preparation. These Mock tests are available both online and offline. Since XAT has gone green as a computer based test, with the XAT online preparation you will be able to boost your XAT exam 2019 preparation as if you are attempting an actual XAT exam.
There are number of XAT mock tests comprising model XAT exam questions to help in your XAT preparation. So, don’t miss them... Prepare with XAT Mock Tests
Study material for XAT preparation
XAT study material consists of the books for XAT; online XAT study material provided to you by your coaching institute or the offline XAT practice test papers bought from Market; XAT test series attended by you; the study and practice material for XAT provided to you by your coaching centre in hard copy among others.
The more you study the XAT study material and the more you practice on XAT Mock tests and XAT sample papers, the more you will be able to score in XAT exam.
How to Crack XAT Exam with 95 Percentile
It may be noted that even half of the total questions in XAT exam, if attempted right can fetch you a percentile of 98-99. So prepare accordingly. XAT 2019 Preparation does not require you to study round the clock, instead you need to study smartly and with intelligent approach to crack the questions correctly in minimum time to achieve high score.
The four sections of XAT exam need a systematic study schedule. Looking at the level of difficulty and surprise elements that appear in XAT every year, a thorough preparation of 4-5 months is required to crack XAT 2019.
According to the experts and toppers, the best way to prepare for XAT 2019 exam is to know your strengths and weaknesses and start working on them now. Since there is time to get over with your weakness and further strengthen your strong areas, you must devote around 2-3 hours a day from now on to crack XAT 2019 with a high score.
Despite number of changes brought about during last 5 years in XAT, the basics of the exam have not changed. Accordingly the XAT study material based on past XAT exam papers and XAT Mocks is the great tool to prepare for XAT 2019. To make sure to crack XAT 2019 with high score you need to begin your XAT exam preparation 2019 from now instead of waiting any longer.
XAT 2019 exam will have 3 major sections contributing to your percentile score. Attempt any section within overall time limit. You need to ensure high score in each of the 3 sections as there is also a sectional score cut off in XLRI XAT cut-off.
Not only XLRI Jamshedpur other top B-schools like SPJIMR Mumbai, IMT Ghaziabad, XIM Bhubaneswar, BIMTECH Greater Noida, TAPMI Manipal among others will offer admission to their MBA/PGDM programmes on the basis of XAT 2019 exam scores.
This is the right time that you should begin your XAT 2019 preparation. The best way to prepare for XAT 2019 exam is to know your strengths and weakness and start working on them now. Since there is sufficient time to get over with your weakness and further strengthen your strong areas, you must devote around 2-3 hours a day from now on to crack XAT 2019 with a high score.
XAT does not require you to attempt all the questions but the need is to maximise your correct attempts and minimise the wrong attempts. It may be noted that even half of the total questions, if attempted right can fetch you a percentile of 98-99 in XAT 2019. So prepare for XAT 2019 accordingly. XAT Preparation does not require you to study round the clock, instead you need to study smartly and with intelligent approach to crack the questions correctly in minimum time to achieve high score.