XAT Exam syllabus coincides with the XAT exam pattern for the particular XAT exam year. XAT syllabus changes in accordance with changes in XAT exam pattern. Since XAT exam is the XLRI entrance exam, the changes in XAT exam pattern also bring changes in XAT syllabus. Accordingly, the Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) exam syllabus 2019 is not strictly pre defined by XLRI. Accordingly, the XAT 2019 exam Syllabus is based on past trends in XAT exam pattern and syllabus. The changes over the years in the exam have also been incorporated in the syllabus for XAT 2019.
XAT Syllabus: Composition
Past tendencies reflect that XAT exam syllabus and pattern overall tests the candidate on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation as the key sections to determine your percentile and merit position.
The other 2 sections – General Awareness (GK) and Essay Writing also do not have any pre defined syllabus in XAT exam. You can be asked any question on GK while most of the times the essay topic is abstract as per XAT exam syllabus.
XAT exam pattern and syllabus cover all the major topics on all the above test sections. XAT 2018 syllabus is proposed to be based on the past paper patterns which contain questions from all the sections.
Section wise XAT Syllabus 2019
Section-1: Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning
Section Highlights: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) exam Syllabus for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning section in XAT 2019 is divided in 3 parts. The 1st part of XAT 2019 syllabus covers questions based on Verbal Ability; 2nd part of XAT 2019 exam syllabus on the 1st section covers Reading Comprehension passages and the 3rd part of XAT 2019 exam syllabus on VARC & LR section is based on questions on different topics on Logical Reasoning.
Number of Questions: 24. The revamped pattern in XAT exam syllabus for VARC & LR section shows that there are 24 MCQs in this section of XAT exam.
Major topics covered in XAT 2018 syllabus for VARC & LR are:
Part-1: Verbal Ability
Topics on which VA questions are based:
- English Vocabulary based questions – fill in the blanks with correct words; synonyms/antonyms; contextual usage on vocabulary words
- Jumbled Paragraphs
- Correction of errors in sentences, correct use of words
- Completion of sentences
- Completion of paragraph
Part-2: Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Share of Reading Comprehension in VARC&LR section is very high
- Topics on which RC passages are based: Abstract topics, Literature, Social and Economic issues; Science & Culture; history & fiction among others.
- There is no clear cut definition of RC topics in XAT exam syllabus. RC passage on any topic under the Sun can be placed in XAT 2018 exam.
- Type of RC passages: Moderate and short
- Type of Questions: All MCQ type
Format of questions: Questions based on information in RC passage; explanation of the words & phrases as used in the passage; In context of the passage –True/false statements; Author’s view on various issues raised in the RC passage; Inference from the passage; main idea of RC passage; Purpose of the RC passage
Part-3: XAT exam Syllabus for Logical Reasoning (LR)
- Share of LR questions in XAT syllabus for 2019 exam is not very high. Usually there are few critical reasoning and a few LR based questions in XAT exam. All questions are of MCQ type.
- Topics covered in XAT exam syllabus 2019 on which LR questions are based: Analogy, Clocks, calendars, Fact, Inference, Judgement, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relations, logical sequence, assumption, premise, conclusion among others.
- XLRI entrance exam syllabus defines that questions on Logical Reasoning can be individual or can be in the sets.
Section-2: Decision Making
Section Highlights: XAT Syllabus on Decision Making is unique as neither CAT nor any other national level entrance exam has Decision Making as one of its exam sections. Decision Making is the problem or case solving expertise of a candidate.
Number of Questions: 21
Major Topics Covered: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) measures such skills broadly on following topics
- Conditions and Grouping Test;
- Data Arrangement Test;
- Complex Arrangement;
- Decision Making in a situation;
- Case lets
Section-3: Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Section Highlights: Syllabus of XAT exam 2019 for Quant and DI section is very wide. QA & DI is the 3rd and last section in the revamped XAT exam pattern. This section in XAT 2019 is taken into account for XAT percentile calculation. Syllabus of XAT 2019 for Quant is vast and covers everything in Mathematics that you may or may not expect.
Number of Questions: 27
Major Topics in XAT Quant Syllabus are:
- LCM and HCF
- Profit and Loss
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
- Number System
- Geometry including Co-ordinate Geometry
- Pure Math
- Venn diagrams
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Binomial Theorem
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability Functions
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Alligations
Data Interpretation (DI)
Questions in Data Interpretation part in XAT exam are in sets in most cases. Sometimes individual questions are also asked. Topics on which DI questions are based are:
- Data Tables
- Data charts
- Bar diagrams
- Pie charts
- Data analysis and comparison
Section-4: GK and Essay Writing
Highlights: XAT exam syllabus 2019 for second part in XAT exam consists of 2 sections. One is General Awareness (GK) which consists of MCQs and other is Essay Writing Test in which you have to write a well worded essay on a given topic in 200 words on computer screen in the changed XAT exam pattern.
As per the changed pattern of XAT exam, there would be Multiple Choice type questions in XAT 2019 exam on General Awareness. The score in GK section will not be counted for XAT percentile calculation.
Number of Questions: 25
Major Topics Covered are:
- Economics, finance,
- National and International current affairs
- Conventional GK
- Constitution of India
- Company profiles, logos,
- Business & Economy
- Who’s who
- Books & Authors
- Capitals & Currencies
Essay Writing Test
Essay Writing in XAT is the test of writing skill of an aspirant. XAT 2019 exam syllabus for Essay Writing prescribes that the test taker should write a coherent and logical essay on the given topic.
The XLRI entrance exam syllabus on Essay Writing test is not limited to any particular type of topic. Still the past trends in XAT syllabus reveal that it needs a well worded essay on the contemporary or abstract topic.
Test taker has to write essay on one topic but sometimes there is choice to choose between 2 topics and sometimes there is no choice at all.
The test taker is supposed to write after giving a thought and produce a better piece of writing in 20-25 minutes. Ideal size of essay in XAT exam syllabus 2019 is reduced to 200 words. Essay in XAT plays important role in the Personal Interview round as questions are based on what you have written in your XAT Essay.
Key Points to Note on XAT Syllabus
- Candidates searching for XLRI entrance exam syllabus should note that the XAT exam 2019 syllabus and XLRI Syllabus are not different. XAT syllabus and pattern is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam although the type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent XAT exam syllabus.
- There wouldn’t be any repetition of XAT questions. The difficulty level of questions as per XAT syllabus 2019 may go higher or lower in XAT 2019 exam pattern.
- The XAT 2019 Exam syllabus signifies that the questions in XAT exam 2019 would remain within the prescribed broad areas of XAT exam syllabus 2019.
- XLRI-XAT entrance exam syllabus or XAT 2019 exam Syllabus is not pre-defined by XAT 2019 convening XLRI, Jamshedpur nor the XAT syllabus was outlined earlier also. Syllabus of XAT exam 2019 is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of XAT exam.
The fact is that you will find it difficult to prepare for XAT unless you know the XLRI-XAT entrance exam syllabus. XAT MBA exam syllabus is much wider than one can anticipate. XLRI- XAT syllabus does not leave any study topic untouched. The glimpses of XAT syllabus for MBA admission in XLRI, SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB and other top B-schools is a testimony to this fact. Going by the past trends and past XAT exam pattern, XAT syllabus for each section of Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is shared above to help the XAT 2019 aspirants to prepare in accordance with the XAT 2019 exam syllabus.
City-wise List & Cut Off of MBA Colleges accepting XAT 2018