How to prepare for CMAT 2018, is an important question before the CMAT aspirants. Since CMAT is an online computer based test, the exact CMAT past test paper is not available nor anyone is authorized to publish it except AICTE, the CMAT conducting authority. However, the past trends in CMAT exam reveal that CMAT 2018 preparation can be synchronized with other MBA entrance exams also as the test sections are more or less same.
CMAT 2018 preparation strategy or the question how to prepare for CMAT exam over the years is answered on the basis of 2 important things – CMAT previous years test papers and the anticipated CMAT exam pattern. For many years, AICTE-CMAT has brought very few changes. Major test sections on which you have to prepare for CMAT exam are:
|Test section name||Number of questions||Type of questions||Level of difficulty|
|Language Comprehension||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||Moderate (3-4 questions are difficult)|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||DI more difficult; Quant –moderate|
|Logical Reasoning||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||Moderate to difficult|
|General awareness||25||Multiple choice objective type (MCQs)||Easy to moderate|
Accordingly, CMAT 2018 exam pattern as revealed by AICTE, will have 100 questions in MCQ format.
Major tools that would help you in CMAT 2018 preparation are:
1. CMAT 2018 sample papers: Previous year CMAT exam papers comprising CMAT questions give you the idea and type of CMAT questions that you may face in the real CMAT 2018 exam paper.
2. CMAT 2018 Mocks: In addition to this, you should attempt CMAT 2018 Mock tests. These Mocks should consist of such questions as expected in CMAT 2018 and must not be repetitive in nature. For example, CMAT 2018 Mocks test should have GK questions which could be expected in the forthcoming CMAT exam.
3. The Best Books for CMAT 2018 preparation- CMAT preparation and study material is available in abundance in the market. You need to choose the best books for CMAT preparation. A distinction has to be made in CMAT exam books and the best books for CMAT exam.
In fact, Books for CMAT preparation play a major role in helping you score high in the CMAT exam. Since there are few common core sections in CMAT and other exams like CAT, XAT, SNAP, IIFT and others, the books to prepare for CMAT, XAT and CAT exams are also very much similar. A few of the best books to prepare for CMAT 2018 are
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- ‘How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and data Interpretation for the CAT’- by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT’- by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
- ‘Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT’-by Nishit K Sinha
- Latest RC Passages and practice questions provided by Study centres like TIME, CL among others
- Editorial and short articles published in English news papers
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ – by Norman Lewis
- ‘High School English Grammar & Composition’ – by Wren & Martin
- Manorama year book to prepare for GK in CMAT
- Regularly solve the Verbal Ability questions from your study material especially on Para summary, Jumbled Paragraphs
- Read news papers daily, watch TV News and continue updating your GK on regular basis.
- Attempt GK question exercises on daily basis
- Static or conventional GK does not change. Try to ensure that you divide the GK in sub sections and read & memorise it well.
1. CMAT coaching- CMAT coaching helps you overcome many weak areas. Choose for the best coaching for CMAT preparation. CMAT coaching online is a good answer to the working professionals who find it difficult to attend regular class room coaching for CMAT. During the past few years preference for CMAT online coaching has gone up many times. In fact CMAT online preparation through online coaching for CMAT is more cost effective, less time consuming and offers you more time to practice CMAT question papers and CMAT exercises.
2. CMAT Study material for CMAT preparation- CMAT study material consists of the books for CMAT; online CMAT study material provided to you by your coaching institute or the offline CMAT practice test papers bought from Market; CMAT test series attended by you; the study and practice material for CMAT provided to you by your coaching centre in hard copy among others. The more you study the CMAT study material and the more you practice on CMAT Mock tests and CMAT sample papers, the more you will be able to score in CMAT exam.
CMAT exam since 2016 has become a yearly event instead of twice a year exam. The CMAT exam pattern and content has however not changed and remains the same.
To make sure to crack CMAT 2018 with high score you need to begin your CMAT exam preparation 2018 from now instead of waiting any longer.
CMAT 2018 exam will have 4 major sections contributing to your score. Attempt any section within overall time limit. You need to ensure high score in each of the 4 sections as the individual institutes would call for a balanced CMAT exam score.
The best way to prepare for CMAT 2018 exam is to know your strengths and weakness and start working on them now. You must devote around 2-3 hours a day from now on to crack CMAT 2018 with a high score.
CMAT does not require you to attempt all the questions but the need is to maximise your correct attempts and minimise the wrong attempts. It may be noted that even half of the total questions, if attempted right can fetch you a percentile of 90+. So prepare accordingly. CMAT Preparation does not require you to study round the clock, instead you need to study smartly and with intelligent approach to crack the questions correctly in minimum time to achieve high score.
Sectional topics to prepare for CMAT 2018
The key topics which you need to cover in each of the four sections are:
CMAT defines its Verbal Ability section as Language Comprehension. It covers comprehensive English test which includes the test of grammar, tenses, vocabulary, jumbled paragraphs and reading comprehension.
Articles, Non-finites, dangling modifiers, Nouns, Pronouns (Especially relative Pronouns), adjectives, adverbs, prepositions –regular and followed, verbs, Syntax, Subject-verb Agreement, Simple, continuous, Perfect tenses and Conditional-unreal past.
CMAT gives you shorter with 500-600 words and not too difficult passages. There is no fix rule on framing the questions based on Reading comprehension passage, which is followed by at least 4-5 questions each.
Questions could be any of following types- ; Questions based on inference drawn; Questions based on the Central idea of the passage; Questions based on phrases, idioms; Questions based on expression in the passage.
Not very difficult jumbled paragraphs of moderate difficulty level are asked in CMAT. If you are preparing for other MBA entrance exams, regular practice on jumbled sentences will help you to crack this part.
Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation
Questions in this section are usually single and are not based on sets. Major topics are:
- Table and pie chart
- Bar diagrams and graphs
- Arithmetic-Ratio, mixtures, work, average, percentage, Time & speed, Profit and loss, interest, basic statistics
- Number properties
- Counting principles
- Derivatives ( Maxima-Minima)
The section is a mix of the topics from arrangements like linear, seating, sequencing & arranging with conditions to coding. The other questions are based on statement-conclusion, logical puzzle, numerical puzzle, Venn Diagram, true/false statements, visual reasoning. The basic preparatory tip for LR is to attempt as many practice exercises as possible. They can be solved with basic human logical instinct.
This section can be divided in three parts and each part has to be given due weightage.
- Conventional GK-available in books;
- Current GK- based on current reading of newspapers and periodicals;
- Business & Economics GK -for example changes in Fiscal and monetary policy, CRR, Repo Rate, Devaluation and up valuation of Rupee.
Please remember current GK-whether Business, national and international has an on-going preparation method and thorough reading of the newspaper only can keep you updated.
The section covers questions on Who’s who; Constitutional knowledge; Current affairs; business; economics; currency and Capitals of the countries as well as States of India; International Organizations; monetary and fiscal tools among others. Candidates may find questions with photo and emblem identification of personalities, companies among others.