Group Discussion preparation has three aspects and each adds to your Gropu Discussion skills. These three Group Discussion preparation tips are:
- Read and learn more by visiting the trending GD topics, Past GD topics and regular reading of varying opinions of different topics
- Learn to be a good listner
- Learn and practice to speak effectively supported by facts and figures to make impact on the GD participants.
Exam & Admission Notification | Apply Now
GD Preparation should begin along with your CAT/XAT preparation. Immediately after the written exam is over, you should focus on preparing for Group Discussion round which commands high weightage in final selection round.
- To prepare for a group discussion, keep track of happenings around the world.
- Being aware of current affairs and issues and happenings, which affect our lives, however remotely, shows a well-rounded personality.
- As a team player, your ability to lead and play in team is measured in the GD. Make a habit of reading English newspapers and magazines, watch interesting documentaries and profiles on television to get a wider perspective on issues.
- Group Discussion topics can be from a wide range of issues. It could be a topic on current events, business news, sports or anything very general. The wider your reading interests, the better prepared you will be to face the group discussion.
- You should prepare on variety of topics as rich and right subject knowledge will be required during GD round. You should have subject knowledge and be well aware of the latest happenings around you, not just in India but around the world as well. To be in a better position, make sure that you have in-depth knowledge on the subject. Subject knowledge is a pre-requisite while you are preparing for a group discussion because you will then have the power to steer the conversation to whichever direction you want to. If you can memorize some relevant data, it will be an added advantage.
- If you are a good reader and read on variety of topics, it will help you in group discussion round. There is no need for last minute preparation. You should read over a period of time. Reading not only adds to your knowledge database, but enhances your vocabulary skills as well.
- Always choose the magazines that are content rich and not just full of advertisements. Often magazines have columns which are promoting a particular institute etc. Avoid such magazines, do some research and buy the best that will be beneficial for you.
- Prepare the topics that are Repeated. There are topics which re-appear with minute changes and minor variations. Be aware of such topics well in advance so that you have ample time to prepare for the same. For example the issues of terrorism, gender inequality, poverty, liberalization and privatization, reservations in educational institutions etc often appear as GD topics. Make sure you know these topics well and can come up with some unique, insightful points along with some data.
- Improve your Communication Skills. You should be well versed in your communication skills. You should have a good vocabulary and a decent command over English. Much before your actual group discussion, rehearse well. You can sit with a group of friends and choose a topic and indulge in a friendly GD. Not only will this increase your knowledge, you will be a better speaker by the time it is time for your GD.
- Learn to communicate with body gestures. The panelists observe the way you sit and react in the course of the discussion. . Body gestures are very important, because your body language says a lot about you. In a GD, sit straight, avoid leaning back on to the chair or knocking the table with pen or your fingers. Also, do not get distracted easily.
- Learn to be a good listener. Listening Skills are Essential for GD round, so carefully listen to what others have to say. Just speaking throughout the discussion doesn’t make you better. You should learn to give others a chance to speak. Try and listen to others. If the speaker is making an eye-contact with you remember to acknowledge him by nodding your head, so that the speaker is aware that his listeners are listening to him and paying full attention. This will also show that you are vigilant and are an active participant in the discussion.
Exam & Admission Notification | Apply Now
VJIM Hyderabad, PGDM Admission 2020