CAT Preparation 2019: How to Prepare for CAT Exam, Tips and Material
Updated on November 11, 2019
CAT preparation time is now reduced to less than 15 days. The 10-12 days countdown to CAT 2019 requires a different preparation strategy for CAT exam. Your focused attention on CAT Preparation will switch to revisiting and strengthening what you have learnt, more practice sessions, taking Mocks, identifying and improving upon your errors, removing your weaknesses and further strengthening your strong areas instead of conceptual clarity, strengthening of fundamentals.
The CAT 2019 exam, with a few changes in its pattern will be held on November 24, 2019 in 156 test cities in morning and afternoon slots as a computer based test.
To give a boost to your CAT preparation and make you prepare better, you have already got the CAT official Mock test released by CAT Center 2019 on October 16 with 100 questions. It gives complete idea about the CAT exam difficulty level, type of questions and structure of CAT exam. Accordingly, the more you practice on CAT official mock test, the more conversant you will become about the CAT exam pattern and how to prepare for CAT in next 15 days.
Admission Notification | Apply Now
|BITS Pilani, MBA Admission open 2020|
|BIMTECH Greater Noida, PGDM- 2020-22||UPES MBA Admissions 2020 | Apply Now|
|IFIM Bangalore, PGDM Admission 2020 Open||SDA Bocconi Asia Center Mumbai, Batch 2020-22|
With the availability of CAT official practice test, now you need to ask yourself a few questions and then follow the most appropriate CAT Preparation strategy, while going through your CAT preparation for CAT exam 2019:
- How tough is the CAT exam? Am I on the right preparation track?
- What changes have been introduced this year in the pattern and mode of CAT Exam? What are the key topics to prepare now?
- Do I need any last minute coaching for CAT Exam? Is it necessarily required for CAT preparation?
- How can I equip myself for CAT preparation at home without any coaching?
- What are the most important things and CAT preparation material to move faster while preparing for CAT?
- Do I have time enough for CAT preparation with offline coaching classes or I should go for online CAT preparation as offered by CL, T.I.M.E., IMS among others?
- Now it the time to read CAT toppers' advice as hardly 15 days are left for CAT preparation. How toppers prepared, what do they advise to complete your CAT preparation in 10-15 days? Whether this short time is enough for CAT preparation?
- During the next 12-15 days, how should I divide my CAT preparation time to be well prepared for CAT 2019 exam?
How to Prepare for CAT in 15 Days
Many CAT toppers studying in IIM Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, FMS Delhi brushed up their preparation for CAT Exam within 15 days. The last 15 days to CAT are crucial for CAT preparation as by this time the candidates are well aware about the expected changes in CAT question paper, type of questions and about their key strengths and weaknesses. During this period, according to CAT toppers, you need to follow the Step by Step CAT 2019 Preparation strategy:
- Step 1: Scan the CAT Exam Pattern & Syllabus
- Step 2: Focus more on your strong areas, revise the topics that you have learnt and improve the weak areas, instead of going for building basics and bringing conceptual clarify
- Step-3: Attempt more CAT Mock tests/previous test papers to figure out your strong and weak topics
- Step 4: Make sure to devote a minimum of 3-4 hours a day for CAT preparation
- Step 5: Divide your time as per your skill set and requirement to identify your errors, rectify them and improve in each subsequent mock test through books, study material as per CAT Exam pattern & Syllabus
- Step 6: Consistently work to improve upon your weak areas by allotting more preparation time
- Step 7: Take sectional as well as full length Mocks with low to high difficulty level
- Step-8: Complete your CAT preparation 2-3 days before the CAT exam day. Don’t start anything new after that
- Step 9: Be ready for the CAT exam day, treat actual CAT exam like another Mock Test
CAT Preparation Tips by Toppers: Learn from CAT 100 Percentilers
CAT preparation strategy as adopted by CAT toppers can give you the right preparation plan on how to prepare for CAT in the given time line and expect the best result. The CAT exam preparation tips by toppers who were weak in VARC or DILR or Quant and how they overcame their weakness and scored high in the exam offer right preparation guidance. Here are some tips from more than 100 CAT Topers interviewed by MBAUniverse.com.
- Don’t waste too much time on theory. If you have understood the basics, attempt CAT sectional quiz.
- Practice after theory is a must. Accordingly take periodical CAT 2019 Quiz, attempt CAT previous years Mock test, CAT previous years question papers
- Get the best CAT preparation material with best books for CAT preparation.
- Beginning your CAT preparation early will give you time to periodically assess yourself and overcome your weaknesses.
- Remain confident right from the day one during your CAT preparation journey.
- Self Preparation is the best preparation strategy for CAT 2019 however time is also an important factor.
- If a candidate gets stuck on some question due to his/her lack of conceptual clarity, the wastage of time is more and depression begins to set in. It could be a small quant formula, LR logic, or Verbal usage clarity which might need a simple push to come out of the shallow waters. This help can be provided by your mentor online or offline depending upon your preference or a mix of both.. Read Here CAT Toppers Preparation Strategy
CAT Toppers’ Preparation Strategy and Advice
1.Amit Bikram: 100 Percentile in CAT 2018
Amit Started Self Preparation in May 2018. He spent first two months in concept revision and strengthening the fundamentals and did not take coaching for theory part. He started Taking Mock from August 2018 with one Mock per week and analysed it for mistakes and improved.
Later he took one mock per day during the month before CAT 2018 exam day. In all attempted 30+ Mocks he was weak in VARC and DILR and consistently worked upon to improve on them and scored well. Read More
2. Vishal Vohra: 100 percentile in CAT 2017
Self - Preparation Remains the Key to Success
Vishal did not attend any regular coaching classes although he opted for best Mock Tests Series. To crack CAT he opted for self study and took need based help wherever required. In his view, if one is confident and deploys sincere efforts in CAT preparation, it is possible to crack CAT with high score with self - preparation.
Key Preparation Tips by Vishal Vohra
- Identify first the Strengths and weaknesses section-wise
- Understand the Basics first and make your concepts and fundamentals clear
- Take as many Mocks as possible and analyse each mock to assess your performance
- Improve your Speed with Accuracy
- Coaching is not mandatory. Focus on self preparation and opt for need based coaching Read More
3. Mukesh Goyal: FMS Delhi Student & 100 Percentile in CAT 2016
CAT 2019 can be conquered with 100 percentile by the determined students from small towns and with their self preparation,is the message from Mukesh Goyal, who was the student of MBA at FMS Delhi.
MBAUniverse.com:What was your preparation strategy for CAT 2016?
Mukesh Goyal (CAT topper): My strategy was to improve my weak areas and strengthen my strong areas. I focused on mocks as I think through Mocks, one can check his/her preparation level easily and can accordingly improve. Also, I used to have discussion with my friends who were preparing for CAT as well and that helped me a lot in my preparation.
MBAUniverse.com: Did you go to offline coaching centre? What role does a coaching centre play?
Mukesh Goyal (CAT topper): I did not go for any offline coaching. I think apart from providing subject knowledge, coaching might help you in getting in regular touch with studies. It depends on the individual whether he/she needs coaching or not. Students have done well in CAT with coaching as well as without coaching. Read More
The answers on CAT preparation strategy well prepared by Experts and past CAT toppers to crack the CAT exam with high score and pursue your dream of doing MBA from one of the top IIMs are given here on each and every aspect of CAT preparation.
As you are well aware, CAT exam Preparation requires a well-planned approach with time management. The CAT exam preparation 2019 should be based on following important aspects and must be completed at least a fortnight before the CAT 2019 exam day which is November 24, 2019.
- Understand CAT 2019 Exam Pattern & Syllabus
- Take Mocks to check your current CAT Exam Preparation Level
- CAT Exam Preparation without Coaching or Through Coaching? Make a choice
- CAT Toppers: Learn from CAT 100 Percentilers
- Prepare your CAT Exam Preparation Time Table
- Now, start your CAT Preparation 2019 for each section
Now let’s explore each aspect to help you design your own CAT exam preparation strategy.
1. Understand CAT 2019 Exam Pattern & Syllabus
Unless you are aware what are the key components and sections in CAT exam pattern, what are the topics on which questions are asked in CAT exam, it is like beating about the bush as you will not be able to know how to start CAT preparation nor it will be possible to collect the best CAT 2019 study material. Besides, your focused CAT preparation by section and CAT Self Study may not materialize till you go deep to know about the current CAT pattern.
CAT Exam Pattern
Before moving on your CAT preparation 2019, it is very important to understand the CAT exam pattern which has gone with perceptible changes since 2014, not only in its structure but also in the content. Going by the tradition in changes in different type of questions in CAT, you cannot rule out a different CAT exam 2019. CAT exam is scheduled to be held on November 24, 2019. So, the coming months will be a crucial period to devise a well chalked out plan for your CAT preparation time table as per the current CAT exam pattern.
As per the revised CAT pattern, the CAT exam 2019 will consist of 3 sections with a total of 100 questions. Each section is timed with the individual time limit of 1 hour. Your plan for CAT preparation 2019 needs to ensure high score in each of the 3 sections as there is also a CAT sectional score cut off in IIMs for shortlisting. Your CAT preparation 2019 has to be as per the revised CAT pattern which is as under:
CAT 2019 pattern
Total MCQs (With negative marking)
Total Non-MCQs (Without negative marking)
Total maximum marks
*VARC: Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
*DILR: Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning
*Quant: Quantitative Ability
However, despite number of changes brought about during last four years in CAT exam pattern, the basics of the CAT exam have not changed. CAT exam since 2015 has remained on the same lines. It is expected that CAT 2019 exam pattern is to remain as per the last 3 years pattern, although there could be some minor changes in number and type of questions and their sectional composition. To make sure to bell the CAT 2019 with high score you need to gather your CAT 2019 Study Material and begin your CAT preparation 2019 without waiting any longer.. Read More about CAT 2019 Pattern
CAT Syllabus 2019
- Once you know about the CAT Pattern 2019, your next step for CAT preparation is to scan the CAT Preparation Syllabus. Following facts must be well understood about the CAT Exam Syllabus
- CAT Syllabus does not have any boundaries
- IIM entrance exam syllabus or CAT exam preparation 2019 is not pre-defined by IIMs nor the CAT syllabus was outlined earlier also
- CAT exam syllabus is based on topics that appeared, added/deleted in past CAT exams
- The type of CAT questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent CAT exam.
- There is no repetition of CAT questions in any CAT exam although difficulty level of the questions in CAT exam would not go out of CAT exam syllabus.
- CAT exam syllabus for CAT exam preparation 2019 is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of CAT exam.
- Past tendencies reflect that CAT preparation syllabus and pattern overall covers all the major topics on Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension; Quantitative Aptitude; Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning.
- CAT exam Syllabus is further divided into sub-sections.. Read More about CAT 2019 Syllabus
2. Take Mocks to check your current CAT Exam Preparation Level
You now have to check your current level of CAT exam preparation by taking Previous Year Papers / Mock Test. Unless you know which are your weak areas that need your more attention and which are your strong areas where you need to prepare less for CAT exam, it is difficult to start your CAT preparation 2019 and devise your CAT preparation strategy. To check your current level of CAT exam preparation, taking CAT Mock Tests sectional as well as full length can help you to identify your weak area. After that, you will be able to focus more on your weak areas in CAT exam preparation.
According to CAT toppers like Rohan Joshi, (99.63 %ile in CAT 2017); Sai Praneeth Reddy (100%ile in CAT 2017); Rachit Gupta, (99.83%ile in CAT 2016); Akhil Garg, 99.73%ile in CAT 2016) Mock tests help you gauge your preparation and help you to improve and focus more in the desired direction. It is therefore, very important to take CAT Mock tests and devise your CAT preparation strategy.
CAT Mock Test Series 2019: Importance
CAT 2019 Mock Tests and CAT Previous Years Question Papers are the major CAT exam preparation tools. Alongwith the CAT Mock tests, CAT exam quiz, CAT previous years Mock test, CAT sectional quiz will also play a major role in improving your speed and accuracy in CAT preparation 2019.
Ashish Jhunjhunwala, CAT topper with 99.90 percentile highlights the importance of CAT Mock tests and shares, “Solving mock tests and question banks helped me to identify my sectional strengths and weaknesses basis which I planned my preparation schedule” and adds further, “I attempted a total of 40 mocks before taking the CAT exam. After every mock I took, I devoted a considerable amount of time to analyse each mock result to understand the errors. Regularly taking mock exams helped me practice well for the final exam by solving various types of possible questions within the given time constraints.”
Accordingly, CAT Practice test papers for CAT 2019, prepared by top experts and CAT toppers are good tool to prepare for CAT and crack CAT exam. CAT sample papers are available as CAT online tests also. There are number of CAT online mock tests comprising replica CAT exam questions to help in your CAT preparation. Don’t miss them.
You may enrol for CAT test series at some good CAT Preparation Institute like TIME, CL, IMS, Bullseye among others. They will help you overcome many weak areas.
Benefits of CAT Test Series
- Gives you the opportunity to improve upon your weak areas regularly
- CAT Test Series helps to practice well on various LoD questions
- Equips you to manage sectional time constraints in CAT
- With number of tests taken, the final CAT exam appears like another Mock
- CAT Mock Tests help to get over the exam day anxiety and pressure
- The pressure felt during each CAT Mock test helps in devising exam day strategy.. Read & Attempt CAT Previous Year papers
3. CAT Preparation without the Coaching Help or with Coaching? Make a choice
You always have a choice of CAT preparation without coaching or CAT preparation with coaching but it depends upon your requirements, availability of time, skills that you have and the areas you wish to improve among other factors. CAT Self Study with right CAT 2019 Study material or a mix of CAT preparation without coaching and opting for weekend CAT coaching can be decided now or later as per your requirement.
CAT Preparation Without Coaching
If you wish to opt for CAT self study, you need to understand first how to prepare for CAT exam at home with the help of right books for CAT exam preparation and other appropriate CAT 2019 study material.
Most of the CAT toppers have opted for CAT preparation without coaching. CAT toppers like Ashish Jhunjhunwala with 99.90 percentile in CAT 2017; Vipul Kukkar 99.99 percentile in CAT 2017 and IIM Calcutta students did self study for CAT exam with the help of books and other CAT study material.
How to Start CAT Preparation without Coaching?
A big question, how to start CAT preparation without coaching, is answered well by CAT exam preparation experts. They are of the view that you can start CAT preparation 2019 without coaching with the help of best books for CAT recommended by toppers, like CAT books by Arun Sharma, CAT exam book by Nishit Sinha, available good CAT exam preparation material, CAT Study material online, freely available CAT preparation online facility, CAT exam Quiz 2019, CAT Mock test 2019 that can hone your CAT preparation. All these will make you aware how to prepare for CAT without coaching and are the best tools for CAT preparation.
Akhil Garg IIM Ahmedabad students and past CAT topper has advised to start CAT self study at home without being dependent on any coaching.
Preparation Tips for CAT
CAT preparation tips on how to start CAT exam preparation without coaching are focused on following points to guide you how and when you should start your CAT exam preparation 2019:
- Go through the revised CAT exam pattern
- Read thoroughly the CAT syllabus 2019
- Pick out your strong and weak areas in all the three sections
- Gather the best books and CAT study material for CAT exam preparation 2019
- Improve on your weak areas and monitor the improvement regularly
- Take as many CAT Mocks during your CAT preparation online and do the analysis of each Mock.
- Without analysis of Mock, attempting a mock test may not be useful.
- If you are weak in VARC, reading different articles and novels, conversing in English with friends and even watching English TV series and movies will be helpful.
- Write down whatever new words you encounter after reading at least 5-6 newspaper articles every day
- Data Interpretation (DI) is considered a bit more time consuming. Start practicing on DI questions. Use approximation techniques for quick calculations.
Books for CAT Self Preparation
CAT preparation books and CAT preparation material online or offline play a major role in helping you in CAT self preparation and score high in the CAT exam. A few of the best books for CAT recommended by toppers to prepare for CAT are:
CAT Books for VARC section
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT’- by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
- ‘Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha
- Latest RC Passages and practice questions provided by Study centres like TIME, CL among others
- Editorial and short articles published in English news papers
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ – by Norman Lewis
- ‘High School English Grammar & Composition’ – by Wren & Martin
- Regularly solve the Verbal Ability questions from your study material especially on Para summary, Jumbled Paragraphs
- There is also number of CAT preparation books PDF free download available online for CAT 2019 aspirants
- Use the study material of best online coaching for CAT 2019
CAT Books for DILR section
- ‘How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- ‘How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and data Interpretation for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
CAT Books for Quantitative Ability section
Following books and study material have remained a good CAT preparation tool for Quant for past many years:
- ‘How to prepare for Quantitative for the CAT’ - by Arun Sharma, published by MGH Education
- ‘Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT’ – by Nishit K.Sinha, Published by Pearson
- ‘The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude for competitive exams’
- Quant study modules by TIME, CL, IMS.. Read More on CAT Preparation Books
CAT Preparation Tips for Beginners
A second timer or third timer appearing in CAT exam has already gone through various CAT preparation tips for beginners when he/she appeared for CAT exam first time. However, for thousands of the fresh graduates planning to do MBA from top IIMs, below are shared the CAT preparation tips for beginners as suggested by CAT experts and toppers.
There is no substitute of CAT self study in CAT exam preparation as it does not require any coaching until and unless you are stuck. Experts therefore, recommend that you should start your CAT preparation without coaching and through self study and later make it a mix of CAT self study as well as help from coaching to avoid wastage of time.
- CAT Self Preparation is the best preparation strategy for CAT exam. However, time is also an important factor. If a candidate gets stuck on some question due to his/her lack of conceptual clarity, the wastage of time is more and depression begins to set in. It could be a small quant formula, LR logic, or Verbal usage clarity which might need a simple push to come out of the shallow waters. This help can be provided by your mentor online or offline depending upon your preference or a mix of both.
- Most of the candidates coming from Engineering or other technical background find it easy to get along well with Quant, DI and LR but when it comes to Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, they find the section too difficult. It is where they need an expert guidance.
- CAT preparation 2019 needs improvement in your speed and accuracy as the time to solve per question is reduced now. Till few years back, CAT test taker had 2.32 minutes per question to solve but since CAT 2014 the time is reduced to 1.8 minute per question to solve. Ironically it will not be sufficient to score overall high in CAT 2019; your section wise score should also be high to become eligible for shortlisting at IIMs.
- CAT exam preparation 2019 should equip you with continuous sitting for more than 3 hours without break. To achieve this you are required to take more Mocks, CAT previous year test papers.
CAT Preparation with Coaching
If you wish to prepare with Coaching, it is important to find out the best coaching for CAT exam. Even the best coaching institute for CAT exam may have its draw backs in regard to imparting coaching on certain topics. So alongwith your preparation through the coaching, you should find out an individual best coach for CAT preparation for the topics that need your greater attention.
Yogesh Taneja with 100 percentile in CAT 2017 and IIM Calcutta Student attended regular one year coaching classes offered by TIME. In his view, “Since CAT has very limited guidance on syllabus and an even limited material to refer to from the past years, I decided to join the coaching to get a better insight regarding the exam and to be able to do the syllabus in a more structured way.”
There are many CAT preparation institutes in India and many individual CAT trainers also exist. While the city wise coaching centres may have their own merits and demerits, the best coaching institutes in India offer a uniform preparation material for CAT based on the current and expected CAT exam pattern.
Benefits of CAT Preparation with Coaching
If you are able to choose the best CAT Preparation institute as per your requirements, it can turn out to be the appropriate CAT preparation experience. Some of the benefits of the good coaching are:
- Faculty Interaction: Faculty can interact well during the session and clear your doubts
- Peer Learning: Facility of good peer learning is available in coaching. Many of your doubts can be cleared with peer learning only
- Syllabus Coverage: Complete CAT Syllabus is covered with number of CAT replica tests to enable you to analyse your weakness
- CAT Mock Series: You can get the opportunity to take different difficulty level Mock tests for CAT exam – sectional and full length.
Making a Choice of Coaching
There is no doubt that a good coaching institute may have high fee structure but apart from this you should look for the faculty, past results, students’ reviews about the coaching before taking a final decision of choosing a particular Coaching institute.. Read More to check the Best CAT Coaching
CAT Online Preparation
CAT online preparation can be done though CAT online coaching as well as by taking CAT preparation material online. In fact CAT online preparation is a good answer to the working professionals who find it difficult to attend regular class room coaching for CAT. During the past few years preference for CAT online coaching has gone up many times.
CAT online preparation is more cost effective, less time consuming and offers you more time to practice CAT question papers and CAT exercises.. Read More about CAT online Coaching
4. Prepare your CAT Preparation Time Table
CAT Preparation Time Table is an important factor in CAT preparation. However finalizing the CAT preparation time table depends upon your skill set also. How much CAT preparation you need? What your weak areas and how much time you need to improve upon them could differ from person to person.
One thing that CAT toppers have advised is ‘As the CAT preparation time goes on reducing month after month with every passing day, you need to revise your CAT preparation time table by revisiting your CAT preparation strategy to synchronise it with remaining CAT preparation Time.’
Yogesh Taneja, CAT topper with 100 percentile finalised his CAT preparathion time table 6 months before the CAT exam day. According to him, “The time till the final exam day can be divided in two phases. First, when I spent most of the time learning new things each day, figuring out my weak spots and not worrying about the performance in mocks/test sheets etc. In the second phase, along with practicing those concepts I used to constantly evaluate through mocks from different coaching institutes, sectionals, workshops and spent an equal amount of time analysing my performance to find key areas that could help me improve.”
How to start CAT preparation
Step by Step CAT 2019 Preparation as recommended by CAT toppers should be:
- Step 1: Scan the CAT Exam Pattern & Syllabus
- Step 2: Attempt a few CAT Mock tests/previous test papers to figure out your strong and weak topics
- Step 3: To begin with make sure to devote a minimum of 2-3 hours a day for CAT preparation Step 4: Divide your time as per your skill set and requirement to build your Basics and bring conceptual clarity through books, study material as per CAT Exam pattern & Syllabus
- Step 5: Consistently work to improve upon your weak areas by allotting more preparation time
- Step 6: Take as many Mocks as possible with low to high difficulty level, analyse errors and improve in subsequent mock test
- Step-5: Complete your CAT preparation 15 days before the CAT exam day. Don’t start anything new after that
- Step 6: Be ready for the CAT exam day, treat actual CAT exam like another Mock Test
6. CAT Preparation by section
CAT 2019 exam will have 3 sections with a total of 100 questions. Each section is timed with the individual time limit of 1 hour. With your well planned CAT preparation strategy, you need to plan CAT preparation by section to ensure high score in each of the three sections as there is also a sectional score cut off in IIMs.
Your CAT 2019 preparation should be smart enough. The best way to prepare for CAT 2019 exam is to know your sectional strengths and weakness and start working on them now. Since there is time to get over with your weakness and further strengthen your strong areas, you must devote around 3-4 hours a day from now on to crack CAT 2019 with a high score.
Reading Comprehension for CAT
CAT preparation by section should begin with VARC. Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension in CAT 2019 exam would be the 1st section. Reading Comprehension part in VARC section is considered as the more tricky as this section can get any composition of topics and different type of questions.
You need to prepare for Reading Comprehension by devoting much more time in practicing on variety of RC passages and Verbal Ability questions.
Reading Comprehension: Composition & Preparation Tips
RC is the key Component in Mission CAT preparation 2019. Reading Comprehension passages or RC passages in CAT command 24% share in overall CAT exam and 70% share in VARC section.
Your mission to crack CAT 2019 should be to focus more on RC Passages in CAT. Past CAT toppers with 100 and 99 percentile share following tips to accomplish your Mission CAT 2019
- Read Newspaper Editorials and Articles
- After Reading the passage, make a summary of it which should be one third of the passage size
- Check that all the key points are covered in the summary of RC passage
- Frame questions and try to answer them
- Improve your reading speed
- Since 2017, IIMs have released CAT exam papers with answer keys, attempt the 10 RC passages from actual CAT test papers and answer questions on them
- Monitor your time to attempt the CAT RC passages. One RC passage followed by 5-6 questions should not take more than 15 minutes to answer.. Read More on How to Prepare for Reading Comprehension
Verbal Ability for CAT
During the last few years, Verbal Ability part in VARC section has gone for substantial changes in CAT exams. Your preparation therefore, has to be focused on the current trends. But another important feature of CAT exam is that it suddenly asks questions of such type which have not been asked during last many years. Your CAT preparation for Verbal Ability therefore, has to combine the current as well as the past trends in CAT.
Sometimes you may find more questions on Grammar and Vocabulary and at other times the entire part on Grammar based and vocabulary based questions may be missing in CAT exam. The difficulty level of questions in VARC section is from moderate to highly difficult.
At present, CAT asks 10 questions in MCQ format on Verbal Ability. You need to prepare following three types of questions as per the current CAT syllabus. There are 3-4 questions on each of the three topics.
- Making a summary of small para of 50-60 words in a single sentence
- Putting the sentences in Jumbled paragraphs in coherent order
- Picking out the odd sentence from a jumbled paragraph.. Read More on Verbal Ability Preparation for CAT
CAT DILR Preparation
Data Interpretation for CAT and Logical Reasoning for CAT are now clubbed together and form a new DILR section. In all there are 32 questions in DILR section divided into 16 questions for Data Interpretation and 16 questions for Logical Reasoning. Both the sections are equally important in CAT preparation.
Data Interpretation for CAT
Data interpretation for CAT syllabus is also a little more defined than other CAT sections. The Data Interpretation Study material like Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma; The Pearson Guide for logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation are the few of the best books for CAT 2019 preparation. DI questions for CAT with solutions are available online also.
Candidates who appear in IIMs Common Admission Text (CAT) find Data Interpretation as the most difficult and time consuming section and are able to solve only a few questions which are in sets of 4 questions.
Preparing for Data Interpretation in CAT 2019 is an important part of overall CAT preparation. Scoring high in Data Interpretation can take you through the IIMs admission process.
Data Interpretation Preparation Tips for CAT
- DI questions are formed to test how candidates can interpret the given data and answer questions based on it.
- Free download for DILR Practice questions for CAT with solutions are available online and should be practiced well.. Read More on How to prepare Data Interpretation for CAT
Logical Reasoning for CAT
With creation of new section in CAT comprising only DILR questions, CAT has detached the LR & DI questions from their respective parent sections of Quant and Verbal. Now DILR is the 2nd section in CAT exam which requires higher focus on Logical Reasoning preparation
Logical Reasoning study material for CAT 2019 is available online also which can help you in CAT 2019 DILR preparation and will also save your time also.
Logical Reasoning questions in CAT can be your score booster upto 48 core marks leading to an improvement of overall percentile by 20-25 in CAT 2019. LR in CAT constitutes 50% share in the newly created Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation Comprehension (DILR) Section in CAT with 32 questions. As such, the goal of scoring high in CAT 2019 can be achieved with small but consistent efforts and time devoted to the DILR section.
CAT toppers with varying back ground, studying in IIM Ahmedabad, FMS Delhi, MDI and other top MBA colleges found themselves less prepared for CAT Logical Reasoning when they started LR preparation for CAT. But with their consistent efforts, most of them ended up cracking the Logical Reasoning questions for CAT with 95+ percentile and above.
Logical Reasoning Preparation Tips for CAT
- Read and practice various types of Logical Reasoning Questions for CAT with solutions
- One of the key CAT Logical Reasoning tricks by experts is to begin with LOD=1 and move to LOD-2 and finally to LOD=3 Logical Reasoning Questions.
- Try to solve as many LR questions on all difficulty levels, as possible. Never be shy of practice on LR. Once it is done, you will develop the methodology and will come to know beforehand whether you will be able to solve a particular LR question set, when it appears in the examination or should skip that.
- Get Updated CAT Logical Reasoning Preparation Material of Best Coaching Institutes
- Read CAT toppers’ Logical Reasoning Preparation Strategy
- Attempt more CAT Logical Reasoning Mocks and Analyse your errors after completing each one.. Read More on How to Prepare Logical reasoning for CAT
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT
Quantitative Aptitude in CAT 2019 carries a weightage of 34% in overall CAT 2019 exam. As per the trend in CAT exam during the past 3 years, Quant in CAT exam 2019 will occupy the 3rd and last section. Quant in CAT is considered as the very tricky section as this section can get any composition of topics and different type of questions in MCQ or Non-MCQ format.
Since CAT 2019 test takers will reach this section after spending 120 minutes on other 2 sections, CAT preparation experts and toppers share key CAT quant preparation tip to practice more on this section right from the beginning and prepare themselves to keep their cool till the end of the exam as this section is more calculation based
You need to concentrate more to prepare on Quant in CAT 2019 and therefore require a well devised preparation plan to score high in CAT 2019 exam. Your own devised shortcuts to quickly solve the questions with accuracy will help more. It has become more crucial for aspirants to score high in Quantitative Aptitude section in CAT 2019 without any support of questions from DI part which could be attempted by not so proficient candidates in mathematics.
While it is difficult to determine CAT syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude, it is advisable to prepare as per the changed CAT exam pattern. If you continue preparing as per the old pattern of CAT Quant Syllabus, you may end up with a low score. Although, you cannot rule out the recurrence of questions on forgotten topics in Quantitative Aptitude section, the priority should be given to the current CAT pattern and on the current topics as per revised CAT syllabus
Taking Mocks and sample tests is very important to crack Quantitative Aptitude section in CAT. This fact has been tested by the CAT toppers over a period of time. Taking more mocks on Quant 2019 will expose you to a vast variety of Quantitative Aptitude questions.. Read More on How to prepare Quant for CAT
CAT Preparation FAQs
CAT preparation FAQs are answered by CAT experts and toppers on this page as above. However, the most important CAT preparation FAQs are here:
FAQ-1: What is the ideal CAT preparation time?
Although there is no thumb rule on it, CAT toppers suggest the CAT 2019 aspirants to remain steady and regular in their CAT preparation and always think that CAT exam is round the corner.
FAQ-2: I wish to self prepare for CAT. How do I start CAT preparation without coaching?
First know the CAT exam pattern & syllabus and gather the best CAT preparation books, CAT study material and start your CAT preparation by section without leaving anything to chance.
FAQ-3: How many Mocks before CAT exam are sufficient to take?
As detailed above, the CAT toppers have taken around 40 Mock tests before CAT exam. To prepare for CAT, it is not only sufficient to take Mocks but more important is to analyse your mistakes in them and improve for future.
FAQ-4: What is the role of RC in CAT? How can I improve on it?
Most CAT toppers found themselves weak in RC preparation but with consistent reading and practice, they scored highest percentile in CAT. As suggested above, you should follow the RC preparation tips for CAT.
FAQ-5: Is there is sufficient time now to start CAT preparation 2019?
Since CAT will be held on November 24, 2019, there is still good CAT preparation time which if fruitfully used, can turn the table in your favour.