A clear understanding of updated XAT syllabus before beginning your XAT preparation is very important. Accordingly, XAT Syllabus, key changes in it, important topics in XAT exam syllabus are some of the key things you should know before getting ready to prepare for XLRI XAT 2020 exam. Based on the past XAT pattern and the regular changes introduced by XLRI in the forthcoming XAT exam, the XAT exam syllabus 2020 has five major components which are:
- Overall XAT Syllabus and Pattern for XAT 2020 section wise
- XAT Syllabus 2020 for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning
- XAT Syllabus 2020 for Decision Making
- XAT Syllabus 2020 for Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
- XAT syllabus 2020 for General Knowledge
Exam & Admission Notification | Apply Now
Key Changes in XAT Syllabus 2020
Keeping pace with time and periodical changes in XAT syllabus are the key features which you can find each year in XLRI XAT exam. Some of the important changes that XLRI has announced for XAT exam syllabus 2020 are:
- XAT Syllabus 2020 reduced to 4 Sections/subjects instead of 5
- No Subjective Question on Essay Writing in XAT syllabus 2020
- All the 4 subjects on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation; General Knowledge will form single question paper in single section instead of two different parts without break
- Total number of questions as per XAT exam syllabus not to exceed 100
- All questions will be of MCQ type
- 75 Questions with negative marking
- 25 GK questions without negative marking
You should also be aware how much time is required to cover the complete XAT syllabus 2020 and which are the most important and different sections to be covered first in the XAT 2020 syllabus. Your XAT exam preparation should also be devised as per the XAT syllabus and pattern of the exam.
XAT 2020 is an important MBA entrance test leading to MBA admission 2020 in XLRI, SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB, TAPMI, XIME and other 150 MBA colleges in India. The date of XAT 2020 exam is Sunday January 5, 2020. XLRI conducts XAT entrance exam in the month of January every year. After finalizing the XAT exam date, XLRI will announce the complete schedule and all XAT 2020 important dates in the month of August 2019. As the XAT is for admission to all the Xavier institutes, the XAT full form is Xavier Aptitude Test.
XLRI will conduct XAT 2020 as a computer based test in a single session across the country. Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT exam full form) 2020 is one of the largest National level MBA entrance exams to which around one lakh candidates apply.
XAT Syllabus and Pattern: Yearly Modifications
The XAT syllabus and pattern changes every year. For example, the XAT syllabus and pattern of exam during last 3 years has changed tremendously. On the one hand, number of questions in XAT syllabus and pattern are reduced, on the other hand the XAT syllabus 2020 has scrapped the descriptive essay writing test of 3 marks which was present till 2018. With the changed number of questions in XAT syllabus 2020, more focus has shifted to first three sections which are accounted for determining the merit position in written XAT exam. More updated topics are now contained in XAT exam syllabus 2020.
If you wish to crack XAT 2020 with high score, you should prepare in accordance with XAT exam syllabus which is modified and changed every year.
XAT Syllabus and pattern is not pre-defined by XLRI. However, every year, the XAT Syllabus and pattern is updated by XAT experts with anticipated changes in XAT exam pattern and the topics. After this exercise, XAT syllabus section wise is updated. The prospective test takers can also download XAT syllabus Pdf 2020 and prepare accordingly.
XAT Syllabus PDF
XAT syllabus Pdf is very wide with many topics getting added or deleted every year. It goes on changing with each XAT exam. The updated XAT 2020 syllabus PDF can help you boost your XAT preparation as per the current XAT pattern. The XAT 2020 Syllabus PDF free download is available online. It contains the existing and expected topics alongwith the type of questions expected in XAT exam.
XAT Syllabus 2020 & XLRI Syllabus
Candidates searching for XLRI entrance exam syllabus should note that the XAT Exam Syllabus 2020 and XLRI Syllabus are not different. XAT exam syllabus 2020 is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam although the type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent XAT exam syllabus.
The key point in XAT exam syllabus 2020 is that there wouldn’t be any repetition of XAT questions. The difficulty level of questions as per XAT syllabus 2020 may go higher or lower in XAT 2020 exam. The XAT 2020 Exam syllabus signifies that the questions in XAT exam 2020 would remain within the prescribed broad areas of XAT exam syllabus 2020.
Exam & Admission Notification | Apply Now
|IBA Bangalore, PGDM 20-22(20th Batch)|
|Lexicon Pune, PGDM/Global MBA 2020|
Most Important Sections in XAT 2020 Syllabus
XAT syllabus 2020 will overall test the candidate on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation as the key sections to determine your percentile and merit position. The other section on General Awareness (GK) does not have any pre defined XAT syllabus 2020 nor it is counted for percentile calculation. XAT syllabus covers all the major topics on all the above test sections.
Prepare as per XAT Detailed syllabus 2020
The fact is that you will find it difficult to prepare for XAT unless you know the key topics in XAT entrance exam syllabus. XAT syllabus does not leave any study topic untouched. The XAT exam 2020 syllabus shared below is based on revamped and updated Syllabus of XAT, the structure of which stands totally changed.
Section-1: Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning
Section Highlights: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) exam Syllabus for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning section in XAT 2020 is divided in 3 parts. The 1st part of XAT 2020 syllabus covers questions based on Verbal Ability; 2nd part of XAT 2020 exam syllabus on the 1st section covers Reading Comprehension passages and the 3rd part on VARC & LR section is based on questions on different topics on Logical Reasoning.
Number of Questions: The revamped pattern in XAT exam syllabus for VARC & LR section shows that there are 26 MCQs in this section of XAT exam.
Major topics covered in XAT detailed syllabus 2020 for VARC & LR are:
Part-1: Verbal Ability
Topics on which VA questions are based:
- English Vocabulary based questions – fill in the blanks with correct words; synonyms/antonyms; contextual usage on vocabulary words
- Jumbled Paragraphs
- Correction of errors in sentences, correct use of words
- Completion of sentences
- Completion of paragraph
Part-2: Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Share of Reading Comprehension in VARC&LR section is very high
- Topics on which RC passages are based: Abstract topics, Literature, Social and Economic issues; Science & Culture; history & fiction among others.
- There is no clear cut definition of RC topics in XAT exam syllabus. RC passage on any topic under the Sun can be placed in XAT 2018 exam.
- Type of RC passages: Moderate and short
- Type of Questions: All MCQ type
Format of questions: Questions based on information in RC passage; explanation of the words & phrases as used in the passage; In context of the passage –True/false statements; Author’s view on various issues raised in the RC passage; Inference from the passage; main idea of RC passage; Purpose of the RC passage
Part-3: XAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning (LR)
- Share of LR questions in XAT syllabus is not very high. Usually there are few critical reasoning and a few LR based questions in XAT exam. All questions are of MCQ type.
- Topics covered in XAT syllabus on which LR questions are based: Analogy, Clocks, calendars, Fact, Inference, Judgement, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relations, logical sequence, assumption, premise, conclusion among others.
- XLRI entrance exam syllabus defines that questions on Logical Reasoning can be individual or can be in the sets.
Section-2: XAT Syllabus for Decision Making
Section Highlights: XAT detailed syllabus 2020 on Decision Making is unique as neither CAT nor any other national level entrance exam has Decision Making as one of its exam sections.
Number of Questions: There are 21 questions in this section.
Major Topics: Decision Making is the problem or case solving expertise of a candidate. Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) measures such skills broadly on following topics:
- Conditions and Grouping Test;
- Data Arrangement Test;
- Complex Arrangement;
- Decision Making in a situation;
- Case lets
Section-3: XAT Exam Syllabus for Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Section Highlights: XAT detailed syllabus 2020 for Quant and DI section is very wide. QA & DI is the 3rd and last section in the revamped XAT exam pattern. This section in XAT is taken into account for XAT percentile calculation. Syllabus of XAT 2020 for Quant is vast and covers everything in Mathematics that you may or may not expect.
Number of Questions: There would be 27 MCQs on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation section in XAT 2020.
Major Topics: Quantitative Ability
Syllabus on Quant is based on questions on different topics on Arithmetic, Algebra, Modern Math, Geometry, Mensuration, Trignometry among others. Major topics covered in XAT syllabus for Quant are as under
- LCM and HCF
- Profit and Loss
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
- Number System
- Geometry including Co-ordinate Geometry
- Pure Math
- Venn diagrams
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Binomial Theorem
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability Functions
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Alligations
Syllabus for Data Interpretation (DI)
Questions in Data Interpretation in XAT exam are in sets in most cases. Sometimes individual questions are also asked. All the questions are of MCQ type. DI questions in XAT exam are in the set of 4 questions. Questions on interpretation and analysis of data based on text, tables, graphs (line, area), charts (column, bar, pie), venn diagram, are asked. Data could be given in form of tables, charts or graphs. In this section it is tested that how candidates can interpret the given data and answer questions based on it.
Major Topics Covered:
- Data Tables
- Data charts
- Bar diagrams
- Pie charts
- Data analysis and comparison
Section-4: XAT Exam syllabus for GK
Section Highlights: XAT exam syllabus for second part in XAT exam consists of General Awareness (GK) section. The score in this section is not taken into account for percentile calculation in XAT exam. Questions can be based on current as well as conventional GK. In-depth and regular reading of GK helps more as sometimes a few GK questions in XAT appear more tricky and need intensive reading
Number of Questions: As per the changed pattern of XAT exam, there would be 25 questions of Multiple Choice type in XAT 2020 exam.
Major Topics Covered: Economics, finance, national and international current affairs are a few of the many topics on which questions are placed in this section in XAT exam.
- Economics, finance,
- National and International current affairs
- Conventional GK
- Constitution of India
- Company profiles, logos,
- Business & Economy
- Who’s who
- Books & Authors
- Capitals & Currencies
No More Essay Writing Test
Since Essay Writing in XAT has been scrapped, there is no need to look for the syllabus of essay writing test. However, please note that it is the test of writing skill of an aspirant. It prescribes that the test taker should write a coherent and logical essay on the given topic. The XLRI entrance exam syllabus on Essay Writing test is not limited to any particular type of topic. Past trends in XAT reveal that it needs a well worded essay on the contemporary or abstract topic. Test taker has to write essay on one topic but sometimes there is choice to choose between 2 topics and sometimes there is no choice at all.
The test taker is supposed to write after giving a thought and produce a better piece of writing in 20-25 minutes. Ideal size of essay in XAT is reduced to 200 words. Essay in XAT used to play important role in the Personal Interview round as questions are based on what you have written in your XAT Essay.
Key Points to Note on XAT Syllabus
- Candidates searching for XLRI entrance exam syllabus should note that the XAT syllabus and pattern is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam although the type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent XAT exam syllabus.
- There wouldn’t be any repetition of XAT questions. The difficulty level of questions as per XAT syllabus 2020 is to remain from moderate to difficult
- The questions in XAT exam 2020 would remain within the prescribed broad areas of XAT exam syllabus.
- XLRI-XAT entrance exam syllabus or XAT 2020 exam Syllabus is not pre-defined by XLRI, Jamshedpur nor the XAT syllabus was outlined earlier also. Syllabus of XAT exam 2020 is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of XAT exam.
City-wise List & Cut Off of MBA Colleges accepting XAT 2018